Sunday, January 01, 2017

Looking back on picture book debuts of 2016

As I look back over 2016 I marvel over the talented illustrators that come to class at The School of Visual Arts where I teach my children's book class. This year was a remarkable year for many of those illustrators having their debut picture books published. First books are very exciting: to celebrate, here is a round-up!

I did interviews with each of them, where they discussed how they got their start, how they broke into the field, how they worked on their first book, and more! Everybody's story is different: there is no one way this happens for new illustrators. I hope you are inspired by each of them! May your own creative dreams be fulfilled in 2017!


MINE! written and illustrated by Susie Lee Jin


WHERE'S THE PARTY? written and illustrated by Ruth Chan


LORENZO: THE PIZZA-LOVING LOBSTER written and illustrated by Claire Lordon


MR. PARTICULAR written and illustrated by Jason Kirschner


A HOP IS UP illustrated by Lori Richmond

No comments: