Thursday, July 07, 2022

Interview with debut illustrator ALLYN HOWARD


It is so very exciting to hear about an artist's debut picture book! I just now have had the chance to catch up with Allyn Howard about her book SPRING PARADE. "Here comes a soft breeze"... Whether it is spring or another season, it is joyful to follow Allyn's bunny and adorable creatures through the magical scenes in this enchanting book. 


Can you tell us about your journey from idea to publication? How did SPRING PARADE get started? What were some stages of working on this book?

I was contacted by the art director for Cameron Kids through Instagram in January 2021. My understanding was that the editor had passed on my account to her. They asked if I had written anything that I would like to publish or would I be interested in working with them on an idea. I chose the latter. Because I've painted lots of bunnies and small animals in garden and forest scenes, they liked the idea of a spring book. Initially, they considered a counting book, like counting animals and things in nature, as mama bunny and baby make their way to an Easter egg hunt/party. There was some back and forth as the editor and I worked out a storyline. And I sketched it all out, loosely. Nothing felt really special. In March, the editor wrote to say they came up with the idea of a parade, which would be "more inclusive and universal" than a counting book. Soon after, the publisher, art director, editor and I had a meeting online. They couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming! I felt really lucky that they were taking a chance on me. I had not pursued illustration for picture books in years. Although, I had continued to make and share artwork pretty consistently. I loved the idea of a Parade! It made sense for the kind of scenes I like to paint. It's simple and sweet and the parade structure felt perfect. It was written in-house, which was fine with me. We were aiming to publish in Spring 2022. I started again on sketches, which went pretty quickly. Changes were made, of course, before getting the greenlight to start on final art. 


What was your favorite part of working on this book?

I really enjoyed working on the pacing. Baby bunny is a little timid early on. By the end, he's leading the parade into spring at its most festive, *spoiler alert* the Finale involves Cherry Blossoms falling from their branches like Confetti. I also enjoyed working out the color scheme. And I love painting animals! Oddly enough, I was happy that I didn't have more time than I did, to work on it. It helped me maintain a looseness to the artwork. I know most books have a longer gap between creating the art to the actual publication.


And the most difficult part?

The most difficult part was telling them I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My annual mammogram, in April 2021, caught it. I was very fortunate to have caught it early and there wasn't any spread, but I did require surgery and a month of radiation. I was afraid they would assume I wasn't up for meeting my deadlines. They were incredibly understanding and did give me some leeway. I had just started on final art when I received the diagnosis. It was nice to have something like this to focus on. I just couldn't believe the timing. 

Where do you live and what is your studio like? What are your art materials?


I live in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn. It's a suburban/urban part of Brooklyn with tree-lined sidewalks and Victorian homes. I live in a one bedroom pre-war apartment building. I love being on the 6th (top) floor with nice big windows. I'm on the lookout for a larger place, though. I have very large rooms and a nice foyer, but I have to split my bedroom in half for studio space to paint. I use water based paints, acrylics and acrylic-gouache, typically on wood panels or gesso board, sometimes paper. A section of my living room is where I use my computer, scanner, etc. It's a true live-work space!

What were you like as a child? Did you always draw and paint since you were very young?


I didn't really paint until college, but I loved to draw, color, collage and make dollhouse furniture as a kid. I was a huge fan of Spirograph and I loved this pop-up book I had, you could color the interiors and furniture. I wish I could remember the name. I think it had very ornate furniture. It might be that each pop-up had a different style. I'm not sure now. I also loved to make paper dolls and make up stories for them. I was an only child, so I learned to entertain myself early on. I also liked to be outside. Riding Big Wheels with friends on apartment sidewalks when I was really young was a thrill. I always loved swimming. When I was 8, we moved to a house and joined a nice pool and tennis club. I never learned to play tennis, but I practically lived at the pool. Between swim team practice, playing in the pool, tanning and in later years, working as a lifeguard and teaching swim lessons, my days were pretty full. I didn't draw as much during summertime. 


How did you decide you wanted to do children's books?

I think it was always in the back of my mind, because I loved them as a kid. I studied Communication Arts & Design in college. I still feel some regret, not choosing Illustration as my focus after Foundation at VCU. I started taking painting classes during my junior year. When I came to NYU for grad school, my intention was to become a fine artist. I'll spare you the details, but I spent several years waitressing, eventually working my way into the film business, painting sets. I guess you could say, my paintings became more illustrative than explorative over time and I decided to try my hand at illustration. Again, I'll spare you the details about missed opportunities and a rather lackluster portfolio. I was about 34 when I took a picture book class with Brian Floca at SVA. Like your class, he taught in the Continuing Education department. I wrote and illustrated "Fashion Bear". She had a heart of gold and a lust for nice clothes! Choosing to help her friends over buying a fancy dress she'd been saving up for, she made her way into countless children's hands and hearts. No! That last part is far from true. My story did garner a few laughs during presentation night. That gave me a little boost of confidence. But, my story and my art needed a lot of work. As I was working more steadily as a scenic artist in film/TV, it became harder for me to make time for painting and rewriting. In 2009, I took a short summer children's book class, again at SVA, with Rachael Cole. I worked on "Floaty, the Hovering Dog". It started as a pretty simple idea. As you know, I reworked "Floaty" when I came to your class a year or two later! 


Did you have some rejections along the way? What have been some of the ups and downs?

I never actually sent a dummy out. I did have a meeting with an editor in 2015. I had a chance to share a couple of my book dummies with her. The idea I blurted out towards the end of our meeting was the one for which she seemed most interested. She was incredibly nice. Unfortunately, I let that opportunity slip away. Maybe it will come back around. You never know. I've experienced plenty of rejection, in general. Whether I was overlooked by galleries and group shows in my early years or not hearing back after sending illustration and design work to manufacturers for licensing opportunities. More recently, I've received a couple very flattering notes about my work from agents. They were rejections, nonetheless. The ups include exhibiting my paintings, in juried shows and also at local Brooklyn spots. I sell original work and I did break into art licensing. 


Is there anything you learned back in class that has particularly stayed with you?

You're such an encouraging teacher. The interest you show in everyone's work feels genuine. Our critiques were constructive, really helpful. You created a warm environment where classmates felt free to talk open and honestly about each other's work. I'm still good friends with several classmates. Four of us have been published. You must be doing something right! 
I also want to add something you probably don't remember. I ran into you at The Princeton Book Festival in 2015 when Kristine's book was out. Afterwards, a group of us went to the festival's picnic and you introduced me as a future published picture book artist to a few people. It might seem like a casual gesture, but it stayed with me. I think like many artists, I've been plagued by insecurity and just not feeling like I quite belong. I realize that's not so uncommon. A little suggestion can go a long way. So, thank you.
 
Do you have any special words of advice or encouragement for illustrators/writers starting out now?

I would say to push your point of view. It's become more difficult to stand out. I think it's important to look at lots of picture books and pay attention to which are doing well. But, you gain so much confidence when you know yourself. A style will emerge and then you pray it connects with someone! I was fortunate that the art director I worked with on this book has a similar aesthetic to mine. I had a roundabout path to picture books and who knows how many more I'll get to work on. 
One thing I've learned is that I wasn't really confident about my work until about 6 years ago. Not that it's become all smooth sailing, but I felt a shift in 2016. I was painting as much as I could, even after a long day at work, I would paint for at least an hour - anything! Some Instagram challenges gave me focus and provided subject matter when I wasn't sure what I wanted to paint. 
Fortunately, books for children remain very popular. There are so many themes, too. It really feels wide open. Of course, the more you work, the better you get. I always think if you create enough art and/or stories, something is bound to give way! 
Best of luck to all!!!


Here is Allyn at her virtual book launch at Books of Wonder: CONGRATULATIONS!
I hope we will be seeing Allyn's bunny and creatures in many more books to come!

Join me in thanking her for bringing us so generously behind the scenes with SPRING PARADE.

And for more about Allyn and her many talents, here is her website: www.allynhoward.com

and her instagram: www.instagram.com/allynhoward/


No comments: