Saturday, March 05, 2011


Gabby and Grandma GO GREEN is my newest book, just out.
And a nice review from Booklist to help celebrate!

"Young Gabby and her gray-haired grandmother decide their day will be a green one. First, the duo makes cloth bags. Once done, it’s off to the farmers’ market to buy locally produced products (carried in their new bags), to the park to play and recycle their reading matter, and then over to the library to check out books with more earth projects. This upbeat picture book is charming and attractive. As usual, Wellington’s clever use of design and bits of collage add to the appeal. Here, most pictures are actively bordered with small items, like recycle stickers and a tiny mouse scampering about, saying things like, “Waste not, want not!” The rounded simple shapes give the art a childlike feel, and the many things to look at can turn the book into an interactive experience as adults ask children what they spy. A delightful way to introduce 'going green.' ”

The idea for this book came from memories of my grandmother. She always had a million projects going, and I loved learning how to sew with her. I included directions for a sewing project at the end of the book!

6 comments:

Susanna Pitzer said...

Congratulations on the new book!

I always love seeing what you are up to! : )

Very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Cute cover with a recycled piece of your Ducklings book. Very pretty. Randee

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Looks like a great and helpful book for parents and teachers of young children.

Shelby said...

YAY! Congratulations Monica, I"m sure this book will be a hit! So relevant a theme, and of course imaginative and beautiful :) I'm so proud of you!

Rachel said...

Congrats on the new book - my kids loved it the first time they read it!! Actually, we have several of your books and they are very well read...:)

Also, I run a mom blog called momcoloredglasses.com, and I am planning on profiling three of your books, including your newest one next month (April) and highlighting the reusable bags as a craft as well. I would LOVE to include an author profile - if you are interested...if so, you can contact me at rachelhammond@me.com. I'm sorry to leave this as a comment, but I couldn't figure out the best way to contact you!!

Thanks so much!

monicawellington said...

Thank you so much to everyone for writing, and I am so happy to hear kids are already reading it!