Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Summer Travels #3 - Colorado

First stop in Colorado was Denver. With the city up a mile in the air, I definitely noticed the change in altitude. I enjoyed a walk around the neighborhood where we were staying, the Highlands. I loved the mix of architecture: cute folk art style buildings


 and Lego style buildings, right next to each other.


The next day we went to Vail, a few more thousand feet up in the Rocky Mountains. The air was lovely and cool and dry, but thin. I never felt like I was getting a full breath of air. Strange feeling. I was there to see NYCB's MOVES (and my dancing daughter!) perform at the dance festival. What a beautiful outdoor theater nestled in pine trees. 

 
Alot of people were bicycling up and down the mountains around Vail, but I didn't quite have the energy. I would need more time to acclimate to the high altitude. 
 

Here is the view from 14,130 feet, from the top of Mount Evans. I didn't climb all the way up there - just the very last bit. But even that felt like an accomplishment!



And here is a video from Vail about Jerome Robbin's Moves. It is a ballet in "silence" but not at Vail. What a sensational setting!



No comments: